The Crane Manufacturers Association of America (CMAA) Crane Safety Conference, held Wednesday April 11, 2019 at ProMat, was attended by over 50 industry professionals who were trained on crane safety and design topics.
A speaker from OSHA’s Safety and Health Specialists identified the top areas of deficiencies cited by OSHA as crane safety infractions. The top five areas are:
- Not performing the required periodic inspections
- Issues with crane pendant controllers
- Not performing required frequent / daily inspections (chains, wire rope, and hooks )
- Lack of proper load capacity rating labels on the crane
- Improper securing of the loads
The speaker also outlined what proper crane inspections should address.
In addition to proper operator training for safe use of cranes, the crane safety conference topics included fall protection, braking, diagnostics, mobile technology, and automation.